[U-Boot-Users] U-boot & MonteJade start up

Jonathan Pratt Jonathan.Pratt at elprotech.com
Wed May 2 06:39:48 CEST 2007

I'm trying to get u-boot up and running on an Intel MonteJade (IXDPG425)
board without much luck.

I downloaded version 2.0 of the Npe code and placed it in the
appropriate directory and the build worked fine. Getting it up and
running on the board has proved more difficulat.

I'm using a Macraigor USB wiggler to download to the FLASH. If anyone
has done this successfully then I would appreciate some pointers as I'm
not sure what I've done thus far is correct.

As far as I understand it, the xscale starts up in little endian mode.
The application is, however, big-endian. When I program the FLASH it
appears to be big-endian, and I don't as yet understand where the
transition from little endian occurs. The u-boot code in the current
state doesn't go anywhere with no response from the serial port.

Is there some pre-bootloader code which does the transition to
big-endian? If so, do I need to program this sepeartely? If not, where
does the transition to big-endian occur and why does the code I see (in
the srec file, for example) appear to start off big-endian? I can
imagine ld getting pretty confused trying to link a little-endian
snippet to a big-endian application.

Thanks

Jonathan Pratt

ELPRO Technologies Pty Ltd