[U-Boot-Users] U-boot & MonteJade start up

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed May 2 07:16:39 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 06:39, Jonathan Pratt wrote:
> I'm trying to get u-boot up and running on an Intel MonteJade (IXDPG425)
> board without much luck.
>
> I downloaded version 2.0 of the Npe code and placed it in the
> appropriate directory and the build worked fine. Getting it up and
> running on the board has proved more difficulat.
>
> I'm using a Macraigor USB wiggler to download to the FLASH. If anyone
> has done this successfully then I would appreciate some pointers as I'm
> not sure what I've done thus far is correct.
>
> As far as I understand it, the xscale starts up in little endian mode.
> The application is, however, big-endian. When I program the FLASH it
> appears to be big-endian, and I don't as yet understand where the
> transition from little endian occurs. The u-boot code in the current
> state doesn't go anywhere with no response from the serial port.
>
> Is there some pre-bootloader code which does the transition to
> big-endian?

No.

> If so, do I need to program this sepeartely? If not, where
> does the transition to big-endian occur and why does the code I see (in
> the srec file, for example) appear to start off big-endian?

Because it's compiled to be in big endian format. All IXP4xx U-Boot & Linux
implementations I know of are done in big endian mode.

> I can
> imagine ld getting pretty confused trying to link a little-endian
> snippet to a big-endian application.

I have to admit, that I don't know right now, where this big endian/little
endian change is made. Perhaps some boot-strapping pin? Not sure, would have
to look in the manual. Martijn? Could you jump in here?

For the 2 IXP4xx boards I used (ixdpg425 and pdnb3) I can say, that they "just
work" with the current U-Boot implementation in big endian mode. And here
definitely no pre-bootloader is required.

What exactly is your problem? Can you see where the U-Boot hangs with you
debugger? You are aware that the IXDPG425 port uses UART1 (and not UART0) for
console with 115200 baud.

Best regards,
Stefan