[U-Boot-Users] Latest git not working for MPC8349EMDS

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Wed May 2 19:48:20 CEST 2007

Hi Michael,

>> Confusing eh!?
>
> Very!  Thank you for explaining it.

No problem!

>> Look at the p14, and follow along with that example, see if you
>> can see the right bytes in memory.
>
> Almost, but not quite.  For one, the flash was locked, and that was why
> the flash erase/copy would not take before.  Secondly, the eleventh byte
> is different, which I think just means I have a different rev than
> yours, 0x43 vs. 0x7f (and I can verify that it is a read-only register):
>
> => md.b f8000000 20
> f8000000: 2f 0c 40 08 86 af 07 33 ff ff 43 12 ff ff ff 02
> /. at ....3..C.....
> f8000010: 22 07 05 19 24 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> "...$...........

I don't have the PDF around just at the moment, but I
suspect that you are right.

>> Take the time to read the document I sent. Read the MPC8349 manual
>> with regards to resetting the processor. Eventually it'll make
>> sense. I found it confusing to start with. Hopefully this will
>> help you.
>>
> Big help already, I was able to flash the new u-boot to fe000000, when I
> could not before.  Unfortunately, I am still booting to the old u-boot
> at fff00000(?)  I apologize if I am being dense, but I thought your
> document indicates flashing fe000000 with a u-boot.bin would be all that
> is required to boot from low memory.

For the board to low-memory boot, the HRCW has to indicate low-boot.
I'm pretty sure all I did was write the new HRCW to the first
sector of Flash (or maybe it comes with the U-Boot image, I can't
recall). I think there may also be a jumper setting you need to
change to tell the hardware to read the HRCW from flash rather
than the headers.

A little more reading should get you booted. But if you can't figure
it out, let me know and I'll take a look later on.

Dave