[U-Boot-Users] Booting Linux with cramfs from RAM

Diego Fons diego.fons at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:59:06 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'd like to boot a linux kernel using a cramfs as root file system.
At U-Boot prompt I load the 2 images, kernal and rootfs:

$> tftp 20200000 vmImage
$> tftp 20800000 fsImage.cramfs

Then i set the environment variable bootargs:

$> setenv bootargs root=/dev/ram rootfstype=cramfs initrd=0x20800000,nnn

(nnn stand for size of the rootfs)

And finally:

$> bootm 20200000

The kernel is decompressed and starts runnnig but i get this error:

No filesystem could mount root, tried:  cramfs
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

Thats it... I can not resolve this problem, does anyone know anything about it?
Did anyone boot with a fs in RAM? and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks and regards,
Diego A. Fons.
E9C6C265 / 8D70 4A80 C337 DC0E 384A  6505 767B 11C2 E9C6 C265