[U-Boot-Users] Getting Started Porting U-Boot to M5329EVB board

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 4 04:03:40 CEST 2007

w.wegner at astro-kom.de wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> I started a port to MCF53xx, but it is basically untested. Current state is: compile-clean,
> ethernet is not implemented (all configuration options involving network have to be disabled),
> but not tested on a board. I used the MCF52xx for my modifications, as you were already
> suggested to do.

Hi Wolfgang,

I've followed your directions, which were pretty easy, given I had just
done it yesterday for my first attempt.  However, when I tried to
compile my port of your stuff, it fails in an unexpected area -
specifically, it fails attempting to build the tools!  To make sure it
wasn't my stuff (pretty sure it couldn't have been, but I've been
confused before!), I tried to build your cobra5329, using the following:

    make clean
    make cobra5329_config
    make

I got the exact same error, so it's clear it isn't my stuff.  Here is
the message

    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/u-boot-git/tools`
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.5/include/stddef.h', needed by
'img2srec.o'.  Stop.

Seems some incompatibility in our respective gcc setup.  BTW, I have
Gentoo Linux, and am using gcc 3.4.4 - my libraries show up under
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4.  I don't know how the u-boot build
system determines where to look, but it's clearly looking in the wrong
place for me!  Any ideas?

BTW: Am I to understand the MCF532x family is approximately equal to the
MCF537x family, with respect to porting u-boot?

Thanks!
-Bob