[U-Boot-Users] PXA27x USB device

Markus Klotzbücher mk at denx.de
Mon May 7 15:23:21 CEST 2007

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> writes:

> On Monday 07 May 2007, Markus Klotzbücher wrote:
>> > But I see your point. By moving those cpu-specific files into the drivers
>> > directory, the architecture custodians need to maintain files distributed
>> > all over the drivers directory and not specifically in the cpu/xxx
>> > directory. I never thought of this before.
>>
>> This is why I favor the old way of storing cpu dependant drivers in the
>> appropriate cpu directory. This makes the responsibility clear and
>> allows to cleanly seperate arch and generic code. Isn't this similar to
>> linux where cpu dependant drivers are found in "arch/cpu/"?
>
> No, quite the contrary. In Linux you will find even the cpu-specific drivers
> (like ethernet, uart, i2c driver etc) in the "drivers" directory. Only the
> board- and cpu-specific setup code and some additional code like interrupt
> controller implementation etc is normally found in the Linux "arch"
> directories.

There are complete drivers in arch/ppc/8260_io or arch/ppc/8xx_io for
example, but I agree you're right in general.

>> What do you think?
>
> I still think we should move to implementing drivers in the drivers directory,
> even if the responsibility for the files is not so easily visible anymore.

Ok, if this is what was agreed upon I can live with it. (Don't get me
wrong, I don't think this is a big mistake or so, I just fail to see any
real benefit beside of beeing more Linux-like)

Best regards

     Markus