[U-Boot-Users] PXA27x USB device

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Mon May 7 14:22:38 CEST 2007

Hi Markus,

On Monday 07 May 2007, Markus Klotzbücher wrote:
> > But I see your point. By moving those cpu-specific files into the drivers
> > directory, the architecture custodians need to maintain files distributed
> > all over the drivers directory and not specifically in the cpu/xxx
> > directory. I never thought of this before.
>
> This is why I favor the old way of storing cpu dependant drivers in the
> appropriate cpu directory. This makes the responsibility clear and
> allows to cleanly seperate arch and generic code. Isn't this similar to
> linux where cpu dependant drivers are found in "arch/cpu/"?

No, quite the contrary. In Linux you will find even the cpu-specific drivers
(like ethernet, uart, i2c driver etc) in the "drivers" directory. Only the
board- and cpu-specific setup code and some additional code like interrupt
controller implementation etc is normally found in the Linux "arch"
directories.

This is one of the reason for me to suggest this.

> Also, this is doesn't prohibit the cleaning up of "drivers" by adding
> subsystem subdirectories for net, usb etc.

No it doesn't.

> What do you think?

I still think we should move to implementing drivers in the drivers directory,
even if the responsibility for the files is not so easily visible anymore.

Viele Grüße,
Stefan