[U-Boot-Users] PXA27x USB device

Markus Klotzbücher mk at denx.de
Mon May 7 13:55:41 CEST 2007

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> writes:

>> Hmm. Seems reasonable, especially if this structure will be used for all
>> drivers. But is this the case?
>
> It's a mess right now. Some cpu-specific drivers are under the drivers
> directory (like the fsl drivers/qe/* for example) and some in the cpu
> directories. We should move those drivers from time to time to the drivers
> directory. But this will take quite a while.
>
> If we have a consense with this location for the drivers, then at least we
> should start with moving *new* drivers directly into the "correct" place.

Yes, definitely. Now we only need to agree on where this is :-)

>> I still feel uncomfortable about placing
>> a cpu dependant host controller driver in a generic driver
>> directory. Will such a driver be maintained mainly by the USB Custodian
>> or the respective Architecture Custodian? I would assume the latter.
>
> This depends on the driver. If it's for example the ppc4xx ethernet driver it
> should be handled by the architecture custodian, but if it's the usb-ohci
> driver then it should be handled by the usb custodian. Most drivers will be
> handled (as they are right now) by the architecture custodian.

Yes, agreed.

> But I see your point. By moving those cpu-specific files into the drivers
> directory, the architecture custodians need to maintain files distributed all
> over the drivers directory and not specifically in the cpu/xxx directory. I
> never thought of this before.

This is why I favor the old way of storing cpu dependant drivers in the
appropriate cpu directory. This makes the responsibility clear and
allows to cleanly seperate arch and generic code. Isn't this similar to
linux where cpu dependant drivers are found in "arch/cpu/"?

Also, this is doesn't prohibit the cleaning up of "drivers" by adding
subsystem subdirectories for net, usb etc.

What do you think?

Best Regards

Markus Klotzbücher