[U-Boot-Users] How to configure for flexible static/dynamic IP operation.

Edward Jubenville edjubenville at adelphia.net
Fri May 11 23:04:32 CEST 2007

Using u-boot 1.1.4 with Linux kernel 2.4.25.

I'm trying to configure our device for flexibility in choosing static IP or
dynamic IP operation, based on which is most appropriate for the network
environment of the installation site.  I can get both to work fine with
u-boot, but I don't know how to pass the information on to the Linux kernel
as to which configuration was selected.  Presumably, the kernel shouldn't
start its DHCP client (dhclient) when static IP operation is selected.

Can someone recommend a strategy for u-boot to communicate the selection to
the kernel?  Is it done via the kernel command line, or by having the kernel
startup peek into u-boot's environment storage?

Thanks in advance,

Ed Jubenville