[U-Boot-Users] How to configure for flexible static/dynamic IP operation.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat May 12 00:30:10 CEST 2007

In message <GPECLCIGPLHEOMGPMCPAIEOMEKAA.edjubenville at adelphia.net> you wrote:

> I'm trying to configure our device for flexibility in choosing static IP or
> dynamic IP operation, based on which is most appropriate for the network
> environment of the installation site.  I can get both to work fine with
> u-boot, but I don't know how to pass the information on to the Linux kernel
> as to which configuration was selected.  Presumably, the kernel shouldn't
> start its DHCP client (dhclient) when static IP operation is selected.

Why should it be important to the Linux kernel how U-Boot got it's IP
configuration? You just poss the information with your bootargs,  and
the kernel uses it, that's all.

> Can someone recommend a strategy for u-boot to communicate the selection to
> the kernel?  Is it done via the kernel command line, or by having the kernel
> startup peek into u-boot's environment storage?

Is there any chance that you did not even bother to read the manual?

Shame on you!

DENX Software Engineering GmbH,    CEO: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all  nervous  and
give the wrong answers.