[U-Boot-Users] How to configure for flexible static/dynamic IP operation.

Edward Jubenville edjubenville at roadrunner.com
Sat May 12 01:09:30 CEST 2007

> Wolfgang wrote:
> Why should it be important to the Linux kernel how U-Boot got it's IP
> configuration? You just poss the information with your bootargs,  and
> the kernel uses it, that's all.

Because if u-boot leases an IP from a DHCP server, isn't it the kernel's
responsibility to maintain that lease?  Our devices are not usually turned
off and on for extremely long periods of time (months).  I am assuming the
device could be up far longer than the lease time, so doesn't the kernel
have the responsibility to renew the lease?  At least, that's my
understanding of how DHCP works.

> Is there any chance that you did not even bother to read the manual?

Nope.  No chance.  Read it.  Didn't find the info.  Maybe it's there, but I
didn't find it.

Ed Jubenville