[U-Boot-Users] CFG_MONITOR_BASE < CFG_FLASH_BASE

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu May 17 16:55:56 CEST 2007

David Hawkins wrote:

> The MPC8349E can be booted such that the core is held in
> reset, and the processor registers can be configured over
> PCI by another host computer. Therefore it is conceivable
> that the host can program the SDRAM controller on the
> MPC8349E and take the core out of reset. If the core
> is configured to boot from an address mapped to SDRAM,
> then U-Boot could have been copied to SDRAM by the
> host. Once U-Boot boots, it could then use FTP etc
> to boot the kernel blah blah ...

Ok fine, but you're talking about an 8349 on a different board.  I have a *board* header
file for the MPC8349E-mITX, which comes with 16MB of flash and works just fine.  I've done
the hard work of getting U-Boot running on that board with flash.  So the question is, am
I going to upset someone if I remove support for booting from RAM on that board?

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale