[U-Boot-Users] idea: fdt_checkboard

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Fri May 18 04:27:27 CEST 2007

Timur Tabi wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> What do you think about implementing a board-specific function called
> "fdt_checkboard()"?  On platforms that have this function, it would be
> called by fdt_open_into(). fdt_checkboard() would scan the device tree
> and make sure that it's the right tree for this board (e.g. by checking
> the 'model' or 'compatible' fields), and return an error if it's not.
>
> This would be helpful in eliminating the possibility of accidentally
> using the wrong device tree.  It could happen, for instance, if there
> are multiple device trees for a given board.

Hi Timur,

I would rather give hush the ability to read fdt properties so that the
logic could be scripted rather than being "hardcoded" in a C function.
This would give some interesting capabilities, like selecting the proper
fdt out of several in memory.

Unfortunately I'm spouting off out of ignorance, I don't know at this
point how much effort it would take to give hush the ability to test fdt
properties.

Best regards,
gvb