[U-Boot-Users] idea: fdt_checkboard

Wolfgang Grandegger wg at grandegger.com
Fri May 18 08:48:33 CEST 2007

Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> Timur Tabi wrote:
>> Jerry,
>>
>> What do you think about implementing a board-specific function called
>> "fdt_checkboard()"?  On platforms that have this function, it would be
>> called by fdt_open_into(). fdt_checkboard() would scan the device tree
>> and make sure that it's the right tree for this board (e.g. by checking
>> the 'model' or 'compatible' fields), and return an error if it's not.
>>
>> This would be helpful in eliminating the possibility of accidentally
>> using the wrong device tree.  It could happen, for instance, if there
>> are multiple device trees for a given board.
>
> Hi Timur,
>
> I would rather give hush the ability to read fdt properties so that the
> logic could be scripted rather than being "hardcoded" in a C function.
> This would give some interesting capabilities, like selecting the proper
> fdt out of several in memory.
>
> Unfortunately I'm spouting off out of ignorance, I don't know at this
> point how much effort it would take to give hush the ability to test fdt
> properties.

Such scripting capabilities might be nice to have but first we need
something more basic. We should also keep in mind that the FDT will be
used to configure U-Boot from the early beginning. In this context a
board specific "fdt_checkboard" function would make sense, but I prefer
that it's already called when an address is assigned to the blob.

Wolfgang.