[U-Boot-Users] Question about CFG_ENV_ADDR during RAMBOOT

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 22 23:04:05 CEST 2007

In message <46535865.6060400 at smiths-aerospace.com> you wrote:

> Looks to me like it would be better defined:
> #define CFG_ENV_SIZE		0x2000
> #define CFG_ENV_ADDR		(CFG_MONITOR_BASE - CFG_ENV_SIZE)

No, this is broken as CFG_ENV_SIZE may be (and often actually is)
smaller than CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE

> The saving grace here is probably:
> * For a RAMBOOT image, there isn't any incentive to save lots of stuff
> in the env since it (generally) disappears on a reboot and definitely
> disappears on a power cycle.

One could argue that a correctly  configured  ramboot  version  would
access  the  original  copy  of  the  environment  in flash. But such
discussion is void, as ramboot itself it not supported officially.

> * On the PowerPC, at least, the first 12K of u-boot.bin is the HRCW and
> vectors which aren't used by a RAMBOOT image so overwriting them is a
> non-fatal error.

Wrong. You may have timer and other interrupts,  so  overwriting  the
exception vectors is a Bad Thing (TM).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A failure will not appear until a unit has passed final inspection.