[U-Boot-Users] Question about CFG_ENV_ADDR during RAMBOOT

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Tue May 22 23:07:07 CEST 2007

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <46535865.6060400 at smiths-aerospace.com> you wrote:
>> Looks to me like it would be better defined:
>> #define CFG_ENV_SIZE		0x2000
>> #define CFG_ENV_ADDR		(CFG_MONITOR_BASE - CFG_ENV_SIZE)
>
> No, this is broken as CFG_ENV_SIZE may be (and often actually is)
> smaller than CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE

Why would that matter?  Does the environment need to be located on a sector boundary?

> One could argue that a correctly  configured  ramboot  version  would
> access  the  original  copy  of  the  environment  in flash. But such
> discussion is void, as ramboot itself it not supported officially.

My understanding of ramboot is that its sole purpose is to boot U-Boot when flash isn't
working at all, so any ramboot-enabled U-Boot would never access anything on flash.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale