[U-Boot-Users] Question about CFG_ENV_ADDR during RAMBOOT

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Wed May 23 18:19:21 CEST 2007

> In message <007301c79d3a$37b63320$f22ab10a at atmel.com> you wrote:
>>
>> I tried to resubmit, but since Grant and Wolfgang has come to the
>> conclusion
>> that sometimes memory is not memory I see no possibility to
>> overcome difference.
>
> Memory is always memory. Serially attached devices are NOT memory.

That is _your_ definition of memory, others like "Webster Dictionary" say:

"Memory: a device (as a chip) or a component of a device in which information especially for a computer can be inserted and stored and from which it may be extracted when wanted; especially : RAM"

You add an extra requirement that memory must be randomly addressable over a parallel bus.
This view is uncompatible with Websters dictionary which does not pose such restrictions.
Furthermore, everyone designing flash memories, believe that serial flash memories
are memories.

You have made your decision here, and I have to accept that, but
you are then trying to get *me* to make the changes you want,
and I really have no incentive to do that and will leave that to others.

> But IIRC this is only one part of your patches. There are other parts
> that have not been disputed.
>
>> The correct approach is to fix the support, and I believe Grant started
>> the debate by saying that he wanted to fix it.
>> I have not seen any result of this.
>
> Maybe you could just submit the other parts of your fixes in the
> meantime?

I have submitted one, and will submit more if that gets accepted,

The remainder are basically "board/<board>/*" files and
"cpu/arm926ejs/at91sam926x/*" files.
None of these patches will result in anything useful for U-boot
since the dataflash support will be broken and no board will
work without dataflash. - ALL boards will be broken.

Since "dangling" patches are not wanted, why would any patch get accepted.

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson                ulf at atmel.com
Atmel Nordic AB
Mail:  Box 2033, 174 02 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Visit:  Kavallerivägen 24, 174 58 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Phone +46 (8) 441 54 22     Fax +46 (8) 441 54 29GSM    +46 (706) 22 44 57

Technical support when I am not available:
AT90 AVR Applications Group: mailto:avr at atmel.com
AT91 ARM Applications Group: mailto:at91support at atmel.com
AVR32 Applications Group        mailto:avr32 at atmel.com
http://www.avrfreaks.net/;            http://avr32linux.org/