[U-Boot-Users] Question about CFG_ENV_ADDR during RAMBOOT

Ladislav Michl ladis at linux-mips.org
Thu May 24 14:29:27 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 06:05:31PM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> Is that part of mainstream PTXdist, or do you apply your own patches?

I'm applying my own patches directly to PTXdist's svn ;-)

> My buildroot will build: at91-bootstrap, u.boot, linux, rootfs and scripts
> for u-boot tying things together, but is of course uClibc centric.

PTXdist does the same for me. Also builds toolchain. Those two projects
does basicaly the same, but PTXdist design seems better for me. And
because it is matter of personal preferences and of topic here, you are
welcome to continue debate or ask questions on PTXdist mailing list.
http://www.pengutronix.de/software/ptxdist/index_en.html

> >> If you have any suggestions/patches, then I would be happy to add that.
> >
> > I'll look at your patches and try to split them to smaller chunks...
> > Lets see if that's posible.
> >
> In the  ftp location, there is only a tarball.
>
> I write a small utility which splits the diff into patches which will handle each file.
> Unfortunately, the way U-boot is structured, you will get files (like $(TOPDIR)/Makefile)
> which contains the result of many patches.

I did my best to check patches you sent to mailing list, tried to
address suggestions (if any) and sent again to custodians. Lets see what
happens. In case things move on I will continue stealing code from your
ftp, verify on boards I have here and try to push in.

> I would prefer a structure where a Makefile fragment for the board is inside
> the board/<board> directory and the Makefile includes "board/*/*.mk".
> Much easier to add boards this way without beeing intrusive.

That seems reasonable. But that rule would have to be more complex to
support for example board/atmel/atstk1000/

Best regards,
	ladis