[U-Boot-Users] Question about CFG_ENV_ADDR during RAMBOOT

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Wed May 23 18:05:31 CEST 2007

> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 02:59:11PM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>> Instead of wasting your time with the mainstream u-boot
>> for the AT91, you could try out my patched u-boot-1.2.0-atmel at
>> ftp://at91supp:support@81.80.104.162/ -> AT91 Third Party -> Linux_Host -> Source
>
> To be honest, mainstream u-boot works pretty well for me. I'm even using
> it on board without NOR flash (only serial and NAND) :-) It is just not
> as nice and featurefull as it could be.
>
>> I have a working dataflash support for most Atmel chips there (board = at91rm9200df).
>> It also gets automatically built by the "buildroot" at the same location.
>
> I'm prefering PTXdist which is building toolchain, rootfs and u-boot as
> well and is not uClibc centric...

Is that part of mainstream PTXdist, or do you apply your own patches?

My buildroot will build: at91-bootstrap, u.boot, linux, rootfs and scripts
for u-boot tying things together, but is of course uClibc centric.

>> If you have any suggestions/patches, then I would be happy to add that.
>
> I'll look at your patches and try to split them to smaller chunks...
> Lets see if that's posible.

In the  ftp location, there is only a tarball.

I write a small utility which splits the diff into patches which will handle each file.
Unfortunately, the way U-boot is structured, you will get files (like $(TOPDIR)/Makefile)
which contains the result of many patches.
I would prefer a structure where a Makefile fragment for the board is inside
the board/<board> directory and the Makefile includes "board/*/*.mk".
Much easier to add boards this way without beeing intrusive.

> Best regards,
> ladis

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson