[U-Boot-Users] Question about CFG_ENV_ADDR during RAMBOOT

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 29 02:10:21 CEST 2007

In message <20070528193940.GA3014 at linux-mips.org> you wrote:

> > > I'm not sure if anyone's suggested this before, or whether it was
> > > well-received or not, but why don't we generalize the cmd_mem syntax a
> > > little? For example, let every memory address can be prefixed by an
> > > optional "storage specifier" and a ':' character. The default "storage
> > > specifier" is "mem", so that if it is omitted everything will work as
> > > before, but you can also do things like
>
> As far as I remember it was proposed by Tolunay Orkun in 'Atmel Dataflash
> hooks' thread:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/26126
> There was no reaction.

No explicit reaction, maybe.

But my position on this is clear: the "mem" commands are supposed  to
work  on  memory  (bus  addressable  memaory  that  is, as previously
defined a couple of times). No such prefixes will be accepted.

Instead,  support  for  storage  devices  shall  be  handled  by  the
respective  storage  device  commands, like "ide", "usb", "nand", and
(to be implemented) "dataflash" (or whatever name will be chosen).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Chapter 1 -- The story so  far:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has  made  a  lot  of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.