[U-Boot-Users] Relocatable U-Boot

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed May 30 17:21:49 CEST 2007

Hi Josh,

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On 5/29/07, Ulf Samuelsson <ulf at atmel.com> wrote:
> > > A handful of projects I have worked on use multiple copies of u-boot
> > > stored in different locations of flash and a small assembly stub
> > > determines which to boot.  Currently, to do that u-boot has to be
> > > compiled two different times with different settings to accommodate
> > > the different base addresses.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to use a single build of u-boot which can be placed at
> > > two different addresses in flash?  That seems to me that it would be a
> > > useful general feature.
> >
> > If you copy your U-Boot to RAM, you can have multiple U-Boots
> > each linked to the same location.
> > You need a small utility which runs before U-Boot which
> > determines which version to use.
>
> Hm... yes.  Though I think that is more of a workaround than a truly
> relocatable u-boot.

Yes, the relocation in U-Boot still is a big problem. There was a series of
mails some time ago that at least described how it could be done correctly.
Unfortunately no real acceptable patch till now.

IIRC, Grant Likely had some relocation fixes in his patch queue too. But he is
most likely busy with other high priority stuff too (as we all are,
right? ;)).

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de