[U-Boot-Users] [patch 2/3] KB9202 EABI build withCodeSourcery EABI toolchain

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 5 20:20:02 CET 2007

In message <20071105103712.GB30679 at sig21.net> you wrote:

> > Given that U-Boot is a standalone binary, I am content that the U-Boot main
> > tree should build with current version of the ELDK
> > - individual users may then port locally to their preferred toolchains
> > as required/desired.
>
> Fair enough.

Actually I'd like to keep incompatibilities between ELDK and other
toolchains as small as possible; ideally, U-Boot should build with any
tool chain the end user decides to use. So the important thing is to
isolate such incompatibilities, understand why they happen and then
implement measures to deal with them - if they cannot be avoided one
way or another.

> Maintaining a second toolchain installation is more work than
> to create a few build fix patches. And I'm happy to share them
> even if they can't be merged.

It is essential that such changes are (1) verified to build with all
board at least in this architecture, and (2) we receive confirmations
from test users fromn this and from other tool chains.

If a change helps one specific toolchain without braking any already
working ones it will go in easily.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The so-called "desktop metaphor" of today's workstations  is  instead
an  "airplane-seat"  metaphor.  Anyone who has shuffled a lap full of
papers while seated between two portly passengers will recognize  the
difference -- one can see only a very few things at once.
                                                   - Fred Brooks, Jr.