[U-Boot-Users] Creating a valid bmp file

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Mon Nov 5 23:15:23 CET 2007

Roger Williamson wrote:
> Hello again Detlev,
>
>       A small question before I get to the rest of my response: how much
> has the bmp handling changed over the past 2 years?
>
> Detlev Zundel <dzu at denx.de> wrote on 10/25/2007 07:38:13 PM:
>
>> Hi Roger,

[snip]

>> I cannot say what you are missing, but you probably can check for
>> yourself.  The first check the bitmap code does is to see whether it
>> can find 'B' and 'M' as the first two bytes of the image.  That's the
>> magic number for bmp files[1].
>
>       All of the files I've tried do have the tel-tale "BM" as the first
> two characters, I'm glad that I'm not totally off with respect to the files
> that I've tried to load.
>
>> Given the error message you get, you probably do not use the "Windows
>> Bitmap (BMP)" file format.  Also be aware that currently only 1 or 8
>> bit per pixel formats are supported.
>
>       Hmm... Do you or any of the U-booters know any programs for Windows,
> or that'll run under cygwin that will produce OS independed bitmaps?

You mean like Microsoft Paint?  See Detlev's hint (above) about saving
in 1 bit per pixel (monochrome) or 8 bits per pixel (256 color) formats.

>> Cheers
>>   Detlev
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_bitmap
>
> You've been quite helpful so far.
>
> Thank you,
> Roger.
>

> NOTE: just disregard the legalese attached to this message, if you are
> reading this... odds are you should be reading this.

In the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy says that, when the revolution
comes, the lawyer wannabes that write email disclaimer drivel will be
the first to be lined up against the wall...

gvb