[U-Boot-Users] DHCP vendor or class ID option

Jeffrey Mann mannj at embeddedplanet.com
Tue Nov 6 16:52:30 CET 2007

U-boot users:

I have been searching the list and reading source code trying to
figure out if something that acomplishes vendor class ids or user
class ids has been implemented in u-boot's dhcp services. (microsoft
has a few articles that discuss uses of class IDS.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266675)

What I am trying to acomplish is this: I would like to be able to set
slightly different DHCP options when the DHCP request comes from a
board running u-boot. The point of this is to provide a shorter lease
time (so we don't exceed the size of the address pool when testing
boards) and also to allow different TFTP server addresses to be sent
to these boards.

I see that bp_vend[OPT_SIZE] exists in struct type Bootp_t. Is this a
vendor class id? I see around line 334 in bootp.c this is coppied from
BOOTP_VENDOR_MAGIC. Is setting a vendor class ID as simple as setting
a value for BOOTP_VENDOR_MAGIC in the config file? I cannot find an
example in any other board files.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Mann