[U-Boot-Users] documentation help

Abraham Varricatt abraham.varricatt at gdatech.co.in
Fri Nov 9 17:02:38 CET 2007

Hi all,

For the past week I've been trying to trace the program flow of u-boot
and I've not had much success so far.

When I mean 'program flow' I am referring to how u-boot works. As an
example, I have a MPC8555E running on a board with PCI configured. Now,
during boot up u-boot initializes the PCI bus.

What I've found out so far, is that the main program calls a function
called 'pci_init()'  (or similar to that). This function is located in a
file present in the 'board' directory. Now, the code in the 'board'
directory redirects program flow to the 'cpu' directory where much of
the initialization really takes place. There is a lot of jumping around
there and it is hard for me to keep track of the flow.

One of the biggest difficulties I am facing is that there does not seem
to be any documentation on this matter. The comments in the source are
just not enough for me.

Any suggestions?

One of my colleagues specifically asked me to explain to him how u-boot
does the PCI enumeration and I'm stuck.

Yours,
Abraham V.