[U-Boot-Users] Supporting non-CFI flash with different sector size in single binary

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Nov 20 14:05:10 CET 2007

Hi Srinath,

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Srinath Iyengar wrote:
> Currently I am using the u-boot-1.2.0, I am trying to have a single Uboot
> Image which supports non-CFI flash with different sector size and flash
> sizes say for e.g. 8 MB flash with 64KB sector size, 16MB flash with 64KB
> and 16MB flash with 256KB sector size. Form uboot sources it evident
> multiple flashes (change in flash size and sector size) are supported using
> config options. It's also documented ENV_SECT_SIZE should be equal to
> Sector size of flash.

Unfortunately currently you have to provide a board specific NOR FLASH driver
to support non-CFI flash's, which many boards do. This will change in the
near future since I have a patch in the queue that will add a JEDEC style
flash support from Linux to the common CFI flash driver.

BTW: Supporting multiple flash chips with different sector sizes is no problem
at all.

> Can someone please suggest the possible way to support multiple flashes in
> a single uboot binary? (Assuming commands are unique across all flashes).

Please wait a little while till the new infrastructure is in place. Then you
can add your flash support much easier in the common driver.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de