[U-Boot-Users] Boot Loader Development - Information

Srinivas G. srinivasg at esntechnologies.co.in
Fri Nov 23 12:10:09 CET 2007

Dear Wolfgang Denk,

Thank you very much for your information.

> You've gone through the google.  Wow.

Actually I have gone through the following links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_loader
http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5085702347.html
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBoot
http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBootdoc/Presentation
http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot
http://u-boot.cvs.sourceforge.net/u-boot/u-boot/doc/
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/redboot-guide.html

>> considered while developing. I did not get the much information about
>> what the boot loaders consist.
> They are software...

I know they are softwares. I mean, I need the information about the role
of the boot loader, what will it initialize? I think, in general it
initializes  the memory controller, processor, board specific hardware
etc. This is also varies from board to board and CPU to CPU. That too,
the boot loader written for PC is different from a boot loader written
for an embedded board. In case of PC, the most of the functionality will
be performed by BIOS and then executes the boot loader from the MBR. In
case of embedded board, they do not have the BIOS to perform the initial
system configuration. I am looking into the embedded board boot loader.
I need the information about the role of the boot loader in embedded
board.

I did not find any document related to the role of the boot loader. So,
could you please send me some useful information on it.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas G