[U-Boot-Users] Booting from NAND flash

Fowley, Douglas G (GE Infra, Energy) Douglas.Fowley at ge.com
Thu Nov 29 15:12:53 CET 2007

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:16:02 -0500
> From: "Craig Millen" <craig.millen at pikatech.com>
> Subject: [U-Boot-Users] Booting from NAND flash
> To: <u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> Hello all.
> I am currently trying to use u-boot to boot from NAND flash as opposed
> to NOR flash.
> We have both on our board, but would rather just use NAND and
> depopulate
> the NOR.
>
> Questions:
> There seems to be only one complete setup that includes a
> bootloader and
> full support for NAND booting, which is the AMCC/Sequoia
> board.  Though
> my board is very similar, we are using the PPC440EP and not the
> PPC440EPX, with the latter having internal RAM.
> Has anyone booted u-boot from NAND by using the external RAM?

The Freescale MPC8313E-RDB can boot from NOR, NAND, or the I2C Boot
Sequencer.  The board comes with U-Boot 1.1.6 installed in NOR.  I used
the U-Boot source package on the resource CD to build and load the NAND
version.  I then modified the NAND-SPL in U-Boot for use with the I2C
Boot Sequencer.

The result is a small SPL that resides in the I2C EEPROM on the board.
The I2C Boot Sequencer initializes DRAM, then loads and executes the
SPL from the EEPROM.  The SPL loads U-Boot from NAND, then U-Boot
proceeds like normal.

Regards,

Doug