[U-Boot-Users] MII / RMII

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Thu Nov 29 23:55:23 CET 2007

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> tor 2007-11-29 klockan 19:51 +0100 skrev Guennadi Liakhovetski:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1. Does it make sense at all to define CONFIG_RMII without defining
>> CONFIG_MII? The question is meant not really theoretical as in what
>> meaning RMII has, rather how the macro CONFIG_RMII is supposed to be used?
>> For example, tests like
>>

> I think that if you use an Ethernet and need to differentiate
> between MII and RMII they should be mutually exclusive.
> You either define CONFIG_RMII OR CONFIG_MII but not both.
> If you have a PHY on the chip, then you do not define any of the two.

Not quite. I've argued that both CONFIG_MII and CONFIG_RMII are
pointless, but if they did have a purpose it would be to set up the link
between a MAC and a PHY on the MAC side. The bottom line is that if
CONFIGs like this are going to be used for hardware initialization they
need to be much more specific.

regards,
Ben