[U-Boot-Users] MII / RMII

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Thu Nov 29 23:25:48 CET 2007

tor 2007-11-29 klockan 19:51 +0100 skrev Guennadi Liakhovetski:
> Hi,
>
> 1. Does it make sense at all to define CONFIG_RMII without defining
> CONFIG_MII? The question is meant not really theoretical as in what
> meaning RMII has, rather how the macro CONFIG_RMII is supposed to be used?
> For example, tests like

I think that if you use an Ethernet and need to differentiate
between MII and RMII they should be mutually exclusive.
You either define CONFIG_RMII OR CONFIG_MII but not both.
If you have a PHY on the chip, then you do not define any of the two.
MII uses more pins and maybe different pins, so a port for a CPU
should differentiate.
If only RMII is supported by existing boards, then the driver
could be written in a sloppy way and hardwire the RMII
configuration without using CONFIG_RMII.
Did not check the drivers so I can't tell.

> #if defined(CONFIG_MII) && defined(CONFIG_RMII)
>
> isn't checking for CONFIG_MII redundant?
>
> 2. cpu/at32ap/at32ap7000/gpio.c also tests CONFIG_RMII. at32ap is an AVR32
> CPU and this macro is only defined in a few MPC8XX configurations, so,
> this test doesn't seem to make much sense in the current tree.
>
> 3. drivers/qe/uec_phy.c tests CONFIG_RMII_MODE, which doesn't occur
> anywhere else in the tree. The driver is enabled in some MPC85xx and
> MPC83xx configs.
>
> 4. drivers/macb.c tests for "RMII or MII mode" by jest checking
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_RMII
> #else
> #endif
>
> i.e., not for
>
> #elif defined CONFIG_MII
>
> This driver is only enabled in include/configs/atstk1002.h, which is also
> an AVR32 config, and it neither defines MII nor RMII.
>
> Thanks
> Guennadi
> ---
> Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.