[U-Boot-Users] BRGs on ep8248 after updating CLKIN

Alan Bennett alan at akb.net
Fri Nov 30 06:51:33 CET 2007

The main reason I began looking down this path was that within my
linux drivers, things were quite strange.  I'd do a schedule_timeout
for HZ/10 and with the help of a few test points and a logic analyzer,
I'd sleep a lot less than 1/10 of a second!  Often times I'd be out of
the loop in 60-80 msecs.  The only thing I could figure out was that
there was a miscalculation of the clocks by "something".
/proc/cpuinfo and other methods, u-boot included, seemed to think I
was running at 231 MHz, but empirical data showed that I was running
faster than that.  I also remembered that a while back, when we were
on the reference board (with the same clock configuration) we were
seeing ~350MHz.

Flawed, though it may have been, I began blaming many parts of the
system without understanding them, as you've read in my email.
However, I'm now wondering if the following interpretation is is
acceptable.  From what I read in the reference manual, the bus_clock
and clk_in are not "required" to be the same. Though several
references in the manual and in u-boot hard wire them to each other.

Looking at the Ref Manual for the 8272, Figure 10-1,
  It shows a conflict:
       1. MAIN_PLL = 66MHz * (SCMR[pllmf]+1)
               my board this is = 66MHz*(5+1) = 396 MHz
       2. BUSCLK = MAIN_PLL/(SCMR[busdf]+1)
               my board this is = 396MHz /(3+1) = 99 MHz
       3. CPU_CLK = SCMR[corecnf] multiplier 1E * BUS_CLK
               My board this is =3.5*99MHz = 346.5 MHz

BUT CLKIN != BUS_CLK  (66MHz != 99MHz) and (231MHz != 346.5MHz)

So the only way we can handle both the HIGH and LOW configuration
case, within speed.c is by calculating bus_clk according to the
reference manual and not hardcoding it to clkin.
i.e.
  gd->bus_clk = vco_out / (SCMR[busdf]+1)
and
  gd->cpu_clk = (gd->bus_clk * cp->b2c_mult) / 2

At least this is what I believe now.  Note: My serial port is much
happier and a 1/10 of a second timeout takes 1/10th of a second!

-Alan