[U-Boot-Users] USB OHCI issue

Markus Klotzbücher mk at denx.de
Mon Oct 15 11:32:09 CEST 2007

Hi Matthias,

Matthias Fuchs <matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com> writes:

> I am currently playing around with U-Boot's (PCI) OHCI driver
> on a 405 board. U-Boot's USB stuff is running fine on this board. I can
> read files from an USB stick without any problems.
>
> But when I start Linux with a (rather old) 2.4.21 kernel, the still connected USB
> stick is not detected as storage device. I have two ways to get USB working
> under this Linux kernel:
>
> a) I do not start the USB subsystem at the U-Boot prompt ('usb start')

So maybe USB does not get stopped completely when "usb stop" is
issued. Are you using the generic USB driver (CONFIG_USB_OHCI_NEW) ?
Maybe you need some board dependant code to correctly stop USB?

> b) I disconnect and reconnect the USB stick when Linux is running.

So the kernel doesn't get notified of the already plugged device if it
has been started under U-Boot. I suppose this supports the theory of
"usb stop" not working.

I would try to find why :-)

Best regards

Markus Klotzbuecher