[U-Boot-Users] libfdt release?

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Oct 15 23:50:37 CEST 2007

On Oct 15, 2007, at 2:23 PM, Jerry Van Baren wrote:

> Kumar Gala wrote:

>>> Hi Kumar,
>>>
>>> My plan for the next merge window is to pull a fresh copy of The
>>> Official LIBFDT into u-boot-fdt.  From what David has said,
>>> libfdt has
>>> been filled out with some functions that we independently invented
>>> and/or there are better ways of doing things, if only we were
>>> smarter.
>>>
>>> I have not had time to actually pull a copy of the current libfdt
>>> from
>>> the kernel/dtc repository and evaluate where we stand.
>>>
>>> I would also like to see improvements to the 83xx CPU handling to
>>> match
>>> what Grant did on the 5xxx sub-repo.
>> Have you looked at my post: RFC: flat dev tree fixup code?
>> It takes the 83xx style and removes the hard coded paths.  This
>> could easily be converted into explicit function calls if desired,
>> with some caveats.  My biggest issue is wanting to remove OF_CPU,
>> OF_SOC, etc. from u-boot.
>
> I've seen it and filed it for When I Have Time.  I agree with the
> concept but have not had time to look at it in detail.  I would
> like to unfork libfdt first... do your changes work with David's
> current libfdt?  Do they work with the current u-boot libfdt?

A mix.  I grabbed some functions out of David's libfdt to get the
name of the node based on offset.  Thus my desire to get david's
libfdt into u-boot.

> Your RFC is based off the 83xx method.  Grant Likely convinced me
> that his method of fixup in the 5xxx tree is better (cut the table
> indirection as unnecessary obfuscation, do direct calls instead).
> Your removal of direct references to CPU and SOC nodes still
> applies, but I have a goal of switching to Grant's direct call
> methodology.  Perhaps you can reroll your patch to use 5xxx as the
> template and kill two bugs^W birds with one patch?

The one problem I had with direct calls is you really need/want to
iterate over a set of nodes not just a single one in some cases (like
fixing up CPU nodes).

> The FDT fixup that your RFC addresses is actually part of the CPU-
> specific code (83xx, 85xx, 5xxx, etc.) and your RFC really should
> be aimed at those custodians (Kim, Jon, Grant, etc.).

It was RFC for anyone and everyone to comment on :)

The fixup code itself was generic, the table was specific to 85xx.

> Depending on the state of u-boot libfdt and the DTC libfdt, it may
> also require coordination with and update via u-boot-fdt.

agreed.

>>> My problem is that I had zero "u-boot" time available last month.  I
>>> have hopes for some time this month, but it is questionable.  Maybe
>>> November...
>> I understand, and thus my offer of trying to help out.  I dont
>> know all the history of what we have in u-boot today vs the libfdt
>> that was imported.  Once someone can clearly say here are some
>> things that we need to handle in u-boot based I'm happy to try and
>> work on those items.
>
> I would like to see libfdt unforked first before we pile a bunch
> more dependencies on top of libfdt, increasing the unforking work.

Agreed.

>>> I don't anticipate a problem unforking libfdt, but it all takes
>>> time.
>>> Whatever you can contribute towards this, I'm happy to queue up
>>> for the
>>> next merge window.  If you have the time and desire to take over
>>> custodian responsibilities for u-boot-fdt, we can discuss that too.
>> I don't really have time to be custodian.  The linuxppc stuff
>> takes up more than enough time.
>
> Dang, called my bluff.  ;-)

good try :)

- k