[U-Boot-Users] U-boot 1.2.0 JFFS2, and NAND flash

William Juul william.juul at datarespons.no
Wed Oct 17 13:55:47 CEST 2007

On two custom designs (ARM and PPC based) we switched from JFFS to YAFFS
after experiencing the same problem. Now we use YAFFS in U-Boot and Linux.

Since YAFFS is very fast we saw no reason to partition the device and
we have one
partition on 1 and 2 GB respectively. The scan/mount times are almost
negligible when
using checkpoints. Without checkpoints we are still experiencing
scan/mount times
below/around 1s.

Implementing YAFFS on U-boot and Linux we had problems configuring YAFFS/MTD
in such a way that we could use the same partition in both places.
That made us upgrade
MTD in U-boot to correspond with our version of Linux. I will suggest
an upgrade of U-boot
MTD in a separate thread. However, if you are only using a
boot-partition from U-boot you
should not experience such problems.

Best regards
William
William Juul, Senior Development Engineer
Data Respons Norge AS
Sandviksveien 26
P.O. Box 489
NO-1323 Høvik, Norway

Tel: +47 67 11 20 00    Fax: +47 67 11 20 50
Dir: +47 67 11 20 26    Mob: +47 95 79 32 53

www.datarespons.no