[U-Boot-Users] booting kernel image from jffs2 partition

stefano babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed Sep 5 18:08:39 CEST 2007

Fabio Ubaldi wrote:
> We'd like to format linux kernel and rootfs image partitions (and the
> others) with jffs2, because the two images may be replaced with newer
> ones while Linux is running.

It is not a problem to replace the linux image while it is running,
because Linux runs from RAM. You can always replace the Linux image.

> A first question is:
> Is it possible to boot (bootm command) the images stored in partitions
> formatted using jffs2?

U-boot can read JFFS2 partitions, but as I said, this should not be
necessary if your goal is only to replace the kernel images. And u-boot
does not need to understand the rootfs, too.

Regards,
stefano babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de