[U-Boot-Users] non-GPL standalone apps

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Sep 22 01:42:51 CEST 2007

Dear Matthias,

in message <200709211412.41736.matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com> you wrote:

> we are thinking of a standalone application instead of a full blown OS
> on a U-Boot enabled board. The most simple way to get some simple API
> (e.g. printf(), getc(), ...) would be to use U-Boot's jump table interface
> as it is used by the apps in the example subdirectory.
>
> Our standalone application cannot use the GPL.

You think they cannot. If you look closer, they probably  could.  But
that's another story...

> Can we do this? Are non-GPL applications that use U-Boot's jumptable interface
> compatible with the U-Boot licence?

Yes, you can. Please see section "NOTE!" in file "COPYING".

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
In a business, marketroids, salespukes, and  lawyers  have  different
goals from those who actually do work and produce something. Usually,
is  is the former who triumph over the latter, due to the simple rule
that those who print the money make the rules.
         -- Tom Christiansen in <5jdcls$b04$2 at csnews.cs.colorado.edu>