[U-Boot-Users] [RFC] u-boot migration to kconfig

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 24 11:37:14 CEST 2007

In message <C31CAD02.3BD8%plagnioj at jcrosoft.com> you wrote:

> >>     arch/arm/boot <- where will be store the u-boot & u-boot.bin
> >
> > I don't see a use for this. What's wroing with having these  files  in
> > the top level directory?
>
> The problem is when you work on multiple architecture & board.
> But it's most cosmetic.

What is your problem with such a setup? You do use "make O=..." then,
don't you?

> >>     arch/arm/config/ <- defconfig
> >
> > Please don't. Please add the default  config  files  into  the  board
> > directory. That's IMHO where they logically belong.
>
> It's not in the board directory, it's in the arch directory.
>
> As example when you specify your architecture by ARCH=arm
> And do a make help only the sh default configuration can be accessible and
> show.

I would like to avoid having board  specific  information  scapttered
over several files *and* directories. So far, we know that everything
(except for a "few" #ifdef's ;-) is concentrated in board/<name>/ and
include/configs/<name>.h

This is a *very* useful setup, me thinks. [Actually  I'  rather  thae
the <name>.h config file in the board driectpory, too, but that would
make the Makefile (as it is currently) too complicated.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The best index to a person's character is a) how  he  treats  people
who can't do him any good and b) how he treats people who can't fight
back."                                            - Abigail Van Buren