[U-Boot-Users] FW: u-boot ppc440epx bootstrap configuration without eval board

Dave Cogley dcogley at uslinc.com
Wed Apr 2 21:11:08 CEST 2008

Forwarded to u-boot mailing list...

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Roese [mailto:sr at denx.de]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 12:01 PM
To: linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
Cc: Dave Cogley
Subject: Re: u-boot ppc440epx bootstrap configuration without eval board

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Dave Cogley wrote:
> Disregard the boot strapping problem.  It appears we are hardwired
strapped
> to use option "C" however my CPU is not being recognized as a 667MHz.
> Which option should I be using for the 667MHz processor?

First, this is the wrong mailing list for this discussion. Please post to
the
U-Boot list instead.

But here some general comments:

The bootstrap controller has multiple configuration options. Some of them
result in hardwired frequencies (CPU, PLB, OPB...), and some of them load
the
PLL setup from an I2C EEPROM. Using this bootstrap EEPROM is the most
flexible solution. If you have only option "C", then you hardwired to
533MHz.
There is no way to "detect" which frequency this CPU is labeled.

But it *is* possible to reconfigure the PLL from within U-Boot an reset the
PPC to run with this different PLL setup. I just recently added some code
the
u-boot-ppc4xx custodian repository.

Let's continue this thread on the U-Boot list.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de