[U-Boot-Users] FW: u-boot ppc440epx bootstrap configuration without eval board

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Thu Apr 3 07:18:54 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Dave Cogley wrote:
> > Disregard the boot strapping problem.  It appears we are hardwired
> > strapped
> > to use option "C" however my CPU is not being recognized as a 667MHz.
> > Which option should I be using for the 667MHz processor?
>
> First, this is the wrong mailing list for this discussion. Please post to
> the
> U-Boot list instead.
>
> But here some general comments:
>
> The bootstrap controller has multiple configuration options. Some of them
> result in hardwired frequencies (CPU, PLB, OPB...), and some of them load
> the
> PLL setup from an I2C EEPROM. Using this bootstrap EEPROM is the most
> flexible solution. If you have only option "C", then you hardwired to
> 533MHz.
> There is no way to "detect" which frequency this CPU is labeled.
>
> But it *is* possible to reconfigure the PLL from within U-Boot an reset the
> PPC to run with this different PLL setup. I just recently added some code
> the
> u-boot-ppc4xx custodian repository.

Do you really have no I2C bootstrap EEPROM? If not then take a look at
cpu/ppc4xx/cpu_init.c and search for reconfigure_pll(). This should do the
trick.

But again, you have no chance to detect which 440EPx version is running on
your board. So if you have boards equipped with 533MHz and 677MHz, this
U-Boot version will run on all boards with the same speed. If you need
different settings you really need the bootstrap EEPROM and configure board
dependant settings.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de