[U-Boot-Users] MBX860 serial communication fails

Markus.Haefliger at apcc.com Markus.Haefliger at apcc.com
Tue Apr 8 12:36:55 CEST 2008

Hi all

I tried to run u-boot-1.1.6 on my old MBX860 board (Version 20C). I tried
several version but I always get the same behavoir.
No communication on the serial line. Only when I press a key on my
keyboard I get a strange string back (for example RETURN give the ASCII
code 170 back "¬")

What have I done:

1) build own GNU environment ( I follow for this the guideline from Dan
Kegel). I did that in  cygwin under Windows XP
2) then download u-boot-1.1.6
3) make CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-860-linux-gnu- MBX_config --> works fine
4) make CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-860-linux-gnu- all --> works fine with a few
warnings
5) I use the EPPC of the MBX to download the u-boot.bin and flash it with
"pflash 4000:xxxxxxxx fc000000
6) I can check the entries of the flash with md fc000000 and their I see
some text like "u-boot Version 1.1.6" --> so flash is written
7) Then I set the jumper J4 to 2-3 but then I got this strange behaviour.

I set in include/configs

#define CONFIG_MPC860           1       /* This is a MPC860 CPU         */
#define CONFIG_MBX              1       /* ...on an MBX module          */

#define CONFIG_8xx_CONS_SMC1    1       /* Console is on SMC1           */
#undef  CONFIG_8xx_CONS_SMC2
#undef  CONFIG_8xx_CONS_NONE
#define CONFIG_BAUDRATE         9600
/* Define this to use the PCI bus */
#undef CONFIG_USE_PCI

#define CONFIG_CLOCKS_IN_MHZ    1       /* clocks passsed to Linux in MHz
*/
#define CONFIG_8xx_GCLK_FREQ    (40000000UL)   /* --> my MBX has only
40MHz */

Any Idea why I do not see the startup dialogue of the u-boot bootloader ?

best regards

Markus Haefliger

e-mail:markus.haefliger at apcc.com