[U-Boot-Users] Uboot (AT91 tree) macb in MII mode

Sander Vermin sander at vermin.nl
Mon Apr 14 10:10:05 CEST 2008

Hi All,

I have been struggling the last week to get the macb Ethernet driver in
MII mode.

[in short]
I have communication over the MDIO interface, my activity led blinks but
no ehternet.

[the long story]
I have a custom board build out of the schematics of the AT91SAM9260EK
board. On my boar I did not use the DM9161 but the KS8721chip. On the
ATMEL board the PHY works in RMII mode, on my board I used MII mode like
this board from OLIMEX [1].

Olimex was kind enough to make Uboot nandflash build working with there
board, And deliver sources I cant compile, due to an error: Hardware
float vs software float. But I want a dataflash version because I am
using a BGA chip with nandflash bug.

In my current setup I use the latest git of the AT91 tree with the
following defines:
#define CONFIG_MACB            1
#define    CONFIG_MII                1
#undef CONFIG_RMII
#define CONFIG_NET_MULTI        1
#define CONFIG_NET_RETRY_COUNT        5000
#define CONFIG_RESET_PHY_R        1

With this config I have the MDIO interface working, when I try to ping
or TFTP I only get time outs / host not alive errors.

Is there someone out there how has the MII mode working?

Best regards,

Sander

[1] http://www.olimex.com/dev/sam9-L9260.html (schematics on the bottom
of the page)