[U-Boot-Users] Uboot (AT91 tree) macb in MII mode

Stelian Pop stelian at popies.net
Mon Apr 14 11:08:59 CEST 2008

Le lundi 14 avril 2008 à 10:10 +0200, Sander Vermin a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I have been struggling the last week to get the macb Ethernet driver in
> MII mode.
>
> [in short]
> I have communication over the MDIO interface, my activity led blinks but
> no ehternet.
>
> [the long story]
> I have a custom board build out of the schematics of the AT91SAM9260EK
> board. On my boar I did not use the DM9161 but the KS8721chip. On the
> ATMEL board the PHY works in RMII mode, on my board I used MII mode like
> this board from OLIMEX [1].

Do you have a working Linux kernel with a working network interface ?
The Linux and U-Boot macb driver and PIO configuration is very close,
and if you manage to make it work under Linux you'll probably have
little trouble finding out the problem.

> Olimex was kind enough to make Uboot nandflash build working with there
> board, And deliver sources I cant compile, due to an error: Hardware
> float vs software float. But I want a dataflash version because I am
> using a BGA chip with nandflash bug.

I don't see what NAND has to do with ethernet here.

> In my current setup I use the latest git of the AT91 tree with the
> following defines:
> #define CONFIG_MACB            1
> #define    CONFIG_MII                1
> #undef CONFIG_RMII
> #define CONFIG_NET_MULTI        1
> #define CONFIG_NET_RETRY_COUNT        5000
> #define CONFIG_RESET_PHY_R        1
>
> With this config I have the MDIO interface working, when I try to ping
> or TFTP I only get time outs / host not alive errors.

Does the board send anything at all ? Try sniffing the net wire (using
tcpdump for example).

Also, what cross chain are you using ? I have seen strange network
errors when using recent compilers which after investigation were -Os
optimisation errors. (using the latest CodeSourcery toolchain for
example).

> Is there someone out there how has the MII mode working?

If I'm correct, Olimex has. So closer inspection of their code may
reveal some information.

Stelian.
--
Stelian Pop <stelian at popies.net>