[U-Boot-Users] Uboot (AT91 tree) macb in MII mode

Sander Vermin sander at vermin.nl
Mon Apr 14 11:19:08 CEST 2008

Stelian Pop schreef:
> Le lundi 14 avril 2008 à 10:10 +0200, Sander Vermin a écrit :
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been struggling the last week to get the macb Ethernet driver in
>> MII mode.
>>
>> [in short]
>> I have communication over the MDIO interface, my activity led blinks but
>> no ehternet.
>>
>> [the long story]
>> I have a custom board build out of the schematics of the AT91SAM9260EK
>> board. On my boar I did not use the DM9161 but the KS8721chip. On the
>> ATMEL board the PHY works in RMII mode, on my board I used MII mode like
>> this board from OLIMEX [1].
>>

> Do you have a working Linux kernel with a working network interface ?
> The Linux and U-Boot macb driver and PIO configuration is very close,
> and if you manage to make it work under Linux you'll probably have
> little trouble finding out the problem.

Are all settings of uboot overwritten by linux? I am not to comfortable
hacking in the Linux kernel and I had the focus on Uboot.
>> Olimex was kind enough to make Uboot nandflash build working with there
>> board, And deliver sources I cant compile, due to an error: Hardware
>> float vs software float. But I want a dataflash version because I am
>> using a BGA chip with nandflash bug.
>>

> I don't see what NAND has to do with ethernet here.

The AT91SAM9260 BGA chip has a bug, that booting from NAND has problems.

>> In my current setup I use the latest git of the AT91 tree with the
>> following defines:
>> #define CONFIG_MACB            1
>> #define    CONFIG_MII                1
>> #undef CONFIG_RMII
>> #define CONFIG_NET_MULTI        1
>> #define CONFIG_NET_RETRY_COUNT        5000
>> #define CONFIG_RESET_PHY_R        1
>>
>> With this config I have the MDIO interface working, when I try to ping
>> or TFTP I only get time outs / host not alive errors.
>>

> Does the board send anything at all ? Try sniffing the net wire (using
> tcpdump for example).
>
> Also, what cross chain are you using ? I have seen strange network
> errors when using recent compilers which after investigation were -Os
> optimisation errors. (using the latest CodeSourcery toolchain for
> example).

I am using the compilers from buildroot.

>> Is there someone out there how has the MII mode working?
>>

> If I'm correct, Olimex has. So closer inspection of their code may
> reveal some information.
>
> Stelian.

Olimex has indeed, but that is a old version of uboot, the old ETHER
driver and not the new. I inspected the initialization code on the ARM
side, that was the same. The rest of te code is completely different, so
spotting differences is difficult.

Sander