[U-Boot-Users] Help making jffs2 image

pat pmeloy at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 17 03:58:10 CEST 2008

I can't seem to make a jffs2 image that u-Boot or the kernel can read. I
know the nand read/write works because I've written kernels and ramdisks
to nand (at many different locations) and they always read back and boot
flawlessly. The JFFS2 image, on the other hand, makes u-boot take about
12 minutes to perform an "ls" on the jffs2 partition with hardware ecc
disabled and fails completely with a bazillion ecc errors when hardware
ecc is on.

I had a brainstorm earlier today and thought perhaps the compression
type used by mkfs.jffs2 (1.5 and 1.6) wasn't enabled in the kernel so I
went back and built a new kernel with every compression type built into
the kernel that appears under the advanced compression heading. No
change, same problems.

What I've used to create the jffs2 is an emdebian crossd build put into
a directory (using sudo to get the device files etc) then the command
line is

sudo mkfs.jffs2 -l -n -s 527 -e 0x4000 --pad=0x200000 -d myroot -o
myroot.jffs2

I then copy that to my tftp directory, tftp to the s3c2410 device at
0x30800000 (ram is 0x30000000 to 0x40000000) and use:

nand write.jffs2 0x30800000 jffs2 0x2000000

I've also tried not specifying a page size (527 sounds odd) and using
nand write instead of write.jffs2.

This is on a s3c2410 board and the nand routines came from the qt2410
patches at openmoko (like I sand, the nand write works perfectly with
uImage and uRamdisk writes/reads).

Any idea where I'm going wrong?