[U-Boot-Users] Help making jffs2 image

pat pmeloy at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 19 01:15:13 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 18:58 -0700, pat wrote:
> I can't seem to make a jffs2 image that u-Boot or the kernel can read. I

Ok, I got further. I turned on the generic platform nand device driver
and I made another jffs2 image but this time with 512 byte page size. I
think I understand the 512+ notation in the datasheet now - the extra
bytes are for badblock markers/clean markers and not for jffs2 data. By
using the larger number i was putting jffs2 data outside of where the
jffs2 routines would be looking for it and therefore ecc was freaking
out (and software ecc taking forever because it was correcting
everything as it went along).

At least, thats my guess...

So now I can boot to an initrd and mount the jffs2 partition without
complaints but it doesn't seem to want to boot straight to jffs2.
Although it says the file system was mounted it says it can't open a
console then the kernel panics because it can't sync.

I've compiled another kernel with all the nand/jffs2 debugging at its
most verbose, maybe it'll rise up and smack me in the forehead with
whatever it is I'm doing wrong (and I know it'll be something dumb, it
always is).