[U-Boot-Users] u-boot wiki and arch-specific details

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Apr 17 16:50:01 CEST 2008

Hi Mike,

> On Monday 14 April 2008, Detlev Zundel wrote:
>> > we maintain a Blackfin-specific u-boot wiki that goes into quite a bit of
>> > detail, some of which is duplicated with the main u-boot wiki.  how do
>> > people feel about extending the u-boot wiki to allow for arch-specific
>> > details ?
>>
>> What exactly do you have in mind?  I surely don't see any principal
>> problem here.
>>
>> It would certainly be valuable to get all U-Boot related info collected
>> in a central place and have pointers wherever that make sense...
>
> from my reading of the wiki, it's more of a technical/command reference than a
> guide.  the wiki we maintain is geared to be more of a guide.  i think the
> two can be merged, i just dont want to convert things only to find out people
> dont want to take it that direction.

Just to be clear, we are discussing the DULG wiki, right?

I agree that in the current state the documentation is more a reference
but IIRC that wasn't really a conscious design decision.  It simply
turned out this way in the end.

So I do not see any general problem in adding "guide style" sections in
there.  Maybe then most of the current documentation can then be shifted
to a "commands reference" section.

One problem I see though is how to correctly adapt such sections to the
board specific nature of the DULG.  Hopefully we can get away with
mostly generic text passages and only a few ifdefs.  It would be very
helpful to know more concrete plans (outline!) to think further about
these implications.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Applied mathematicians do it by computer simulation.