[U-Boot-Users] u-boot wiki and arch-specific details

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Apr 17 20:01:48 CEST 2008

On Thursday 17 April 2008, Detlev Zundel wrote:
> Hi Mike,

> >> What exactly do you have in mind?  I surely don't see any principal
> >> problem here.
> >>
> >> It would certainly be valuable to get all U-Boot related info collected
> >> in a central place and have pointers wherever that make sense...
> >
> > from my reading of the wiki, it's more of a technical/command reference
> > than a guide.  the wiki we maintain is geared to be more of a guide.  i
> > think the two can be merged, i just dont want to convert things only to
> > find out people dont want to take it that direction.
>
> Just to be clear, we are discussing the DULG wiki, right?

is there any other worth talking about :)

> I agree that in the current state the documentation is more a reference
> but IIRC that wasn't really a conscious design decision.  It simply
> turned out this way in the end.
>
> So I do not see any general problem in adding "guide style" sections in
> there.  Maybe then most of the current documentation can then be shifted
> to a "commands reference" section.

OK

> One problem I see though is how to correctly adapt such sections to the
> board specific nature of the DULG.  Hopefully we can get away with
> mostly generic text passages and only a few ifdefs.  It would be very
> helpful to know more concrete plans (outline!) to think further about
> these implications.

so talking to some people on our side and i realized i forgot about a lame
(but important) aspect.  we need to retain full copyright over our docs.  we
license it all under a non commercial creative commons license, but sometimes
we get customer requests to include portions of our docs into their work but
under their own rules.  if i were to merge the our wiki with the DULG one, we
couldnt in good faith continue that practice.  so the wiki's will have to
remain sep, but i can push content into the public one to improve it, just
not vice versa.
-mike