[U-Boot-Users] Kernel hanging after lmb_end_of_DRAM() function.

gforgcc narendra.ka at lntemsys.com
Wed Apr 23 06:12:11 CEST 2008

Hi geeks,
i am trying to bring up the latest kernel on EP8248 target,
i am using U-boot-1.3.2 and linux-2.6.25-rc8, i started debugging using
BDI2000 which helped me to know atleast what is going wrong, i have added
some printk's in the kernel source but still i am not able to find where and
what exactly is going wrong, The first statement it is printing in the log
buffer is
""Using Embedded Planet EP8248E machine description"" and thats it the next
message is
Unable to handle kernel paging request for data at address 0xbfff0000
Faulting instruction address:0xc0012070 (This nearest address to this
address in System.map file is cacheable_memzero)
and tracing like this i came to know that in the file
arch/powerpc/mm/ppc_mmu_32.c , here in the function __init MMU_init_hw() and
in the line n_hpteg = total_memory / (PAGE_SIZE * 8); probably it is getting
problem because when i tried to print the variable total_memory it is
printing zero !!! :( :(  so probably i am thinking it is not able to find
some memory for Hash table :(
Please share your knowledge and skills and help me to resolve this issue..
thanks  :)