[U-Boot-Users] Kernel hanging after lmb_end_of_DRAM() function.

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Apr 23 18:27:25 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 09:12:11PM -0700, gforgcc wrote:
> i am trying to bring up the latest kernel on EP8248 target,
> i am using U-boot-1.3.2 and linux-2.6.25-rc8, i started debugging using
> BDI2000 which helped me to know atleast what is going wrong, i have added
> some printk's in the kernel source but still i am not able to find where and
> what exactly is going wrong, The first statement it is printing in the log
> buffer is
> ""Using Embedded Planet EP8248E machine description"" and thats it the next
> message is
> Unable to handle kernel paging request for data at address 0xbfff0000
> Faulting instruction address:0xc0012070 (This nearest address to this
> address in System.map file is cacheable_memzero)
> and tracing like this i came to know that in the file
> arch/powerpc/mm/ppc_mmu_32.c , here in the function __init MMU_init_hw() and
> in the line n_hpteg = total_memory / (PAGE_SIZE * 8); probably it is getting
> problem because when i tried to print the variable total_memory it is
> printing zero !!! :( :(  so probably i am thinking it is not able to find
> some memory for Hash table :(

Are you using a device-tree-aware u-boot with uImage, or are you using
cuImage.pq2?  Do not use dtbImage.ep8248e; that's for PlanetCore.

ep8248e in mainline u-boot doesn't appear to be device-tree aware.

If you're using cuImage.pq2, do you get any output from the bootwrapper?
Make sure you add /chosen/linux,stdout-path.  There may be other device
tree changes you need to make it work with u-boot as well.

-Scott