[U-Boot-Users] Kernel hanging after lmb_end_of_DRAM() function.

Narendra KA Narendra.KA at Lntemsys.com
Thu Apr 24 07:31:39 CEST 2008

   Thanks for the reply scott, :)

i forgot to mention , yes i am using device tree aware u-boot but the
problem is when i tried to build the u-boot source ( first i did ""make
ep8248_config"" and then ""make"") it was giving undefined reference
related to ft_board_setup() function so i altered the U-boot-1.3.2 source
code... i added the below code to the following file board/ep8248/ep8248.c

#if defined(CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT) && defined(CONFIG_OF_BOARD_SETUP)
void ft_board_setup(void *blob, bd_t *bd)
{
        ft_cpu_setup(blob, bd);
}
#endif /* defined(CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT) && defined(CONFIG_OF_BOARD_SETUP) */

and also added the below lines to the file include/configs/ep8248.h by
looking into the corresponding .dts file in the kernel source....

/* pass open firmware flat tree */
#define CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT        1
#define CONFIG_OF_BOARD_SETUP   1

#define OF_CPU  "PowerPC,8248 at 0"
#define OF_SOC  "soc at f0000000"
#define OF_TBCLK        (bd->bi_busfreq / 4)
#define OF_STDOUT_PATH  "/soc at f0000000/serial at 11a80"

Now afte doing the above 2 alterations i was able to build the
u-boot-1.3.2 source for ep8248e....

then i created the uImage with the latest kernel source linux-2.6.25-rc8
and put that uImage to the target...also i created the ep8248e.dtb from
the dtc (DEVICE TREE COMPILER) and put that to the target and passed this
as an argument to the bootm
I also cross checked in the U-boot environment for the fdt command ... it
was present
this is what i have done till now
Finally when it hanged I started debugging using BDI2000...so it was stuck
as i said in my previous post
and how to use cuImage.pq2 ? also i dint get what is dtbImage.ep8248e ? is
that same to ep8248e.dtb ??
Can you Please tell me how can i proceed further to get the Kernel up on
the ep8248e target ??

Regards,
Naren

Scott Wood <scottwood at freescale.com>
04/23/2008 09:57 PM

gforgcc <narendra.ka at lntemsys.com>
cc
u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject
Re: [U-Boot-Users]  Kernel hanging after lmb_end_of_DRAM() function.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 09:12:11PM -0700, gforgcc wrote:
> i am trying to bring up the latest kernel on EP8248 target,
> i am using U-boot-1.3.2 and linux-2.6.25-rc8, i started debugging using
> BDI2000 which helped me to know atleast what is going wrong, i have
added
> some printk's in the kernel source but still i am not able to find where
and
> what exactly is going wrong, The first statement it is printing in the
log
> buffer is
> ""Using Embedded Planet EP8248E machine description"" and thats it the
next
> message is
> Unable to handle kernel paging request for data at address 0xbfff0000
> Faulting instruction address:0xc0012070 (This nearest address to this
> address in System.map file is cacheable_memzero)
> and tracing like this i came to know that in the file
> arch/powerpc/mm/ppc_mmu_32.c , here in the function __init MMU_init_hw()
and
> in the line n_hpteg = total_memory / (PAGE_SIZE * 8); probably it is
getting
> problem because when i tried to print the variable total_memory it is
> printing zero !!! :( :(  so probably i am thinking it is not able to
find
> some memory for Hash table :(

Are you using a device-tree-aware u-boot with uImage, or are you using
cuImage.pq2?  Do not use dtbImage.ep8248e; that's for PlanetCore.

ep8248e in mainline u-boot doesn't appear to be device-tree aware.

If you're using cuImage.pq2, do you get any output from the bootwrapper?
Make sure you add /chosen/linux,stdout-path.  There may be other device
tree changes you need to make it work with u-boot as well.

-Scott